Monday, December 24, 2007

Mike Cameron update



12.24.07 2:44pm PST (Christmas Eve)



First, let me wish all of you a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Great New Year. I hope everyone is enjoying this time with friends and family.



Updating from yesterday. North County Times' Dan Hayes and Union Tribune's Tim Sullivan were nice enough to respond to my questions regarding Mike Cameron.





Baseball-rumors: With the Rangers trading for Josh Hamilton and the Phillies signing both So Taguchi and Geoff Jenkins, are there any teams left with interest in Mike Cameron? Is there any chance that the Padres re-visit talks with him and his agent?





Tim Sullivan: That's a good question. I would think that Cameron will be able to find a spot somewhere -- maybe with a non-contending team. But I'm not convinced the Padres won't add a right-handed bat. It's certainly a question worth floating.





Dan Hayes: I think the Padres would love to have Cameron for center with Edmonds in left. But they're so close to their budget ... I hear it's $75 million and they're around $73 with bonuses ---- I haven't done the math yet ---- so I doubt it's realistic. Cameron would easily command $10 million a year over two years, which is a steal. But unless the Padres unloaded Barrett's $3.5 million contract I couldn't see it happening. They might make a $5 million exception and go up to $80 m, but I don't see them going to $83 or $84 m. Though Edmonds and Cameron would make them a very strong contender in the West.





12.23.07 8:53pm PST





The biggest surprise to me this offseason, Mike Cameron is still yet to be signed. Cameron and his agent had been talking to the San Diego Padres about a 2-year deal few weeks ago, but could not come to an agreement on the dollar amount.



The teams that had been interested, namely the Rangers and Phillies, have both acquired center fielders. The Rangers traded for Reds' center fielder Josh Hamilton, the Phillies signed both Geoff Jenkins and So Taguchi to free agent deals.



At this point, with his options dwindling by the day, could Cameron return to the Padres? It's doubtful, but if he and the Padres are willing to re-negotiate the dollar amount on that 2-year deal previously discussed, maybe there is a chance.

No comments: