Friday, January 4, 2008

Interview with Lyle Spencer of MLB.com

I got the chance to interview Lyle Spencer of MLB.com, he covered the San Diego Padres for the last 2 seasons and is now covering the Los Angels Angels of Anaheim.


Baseball-Rumors: I have to start out with a non-baseball question, LSU or Ohio State?

Lyle Spencer: That's a hard decision, but I think LSU should win the game because they have a home field advantage to a certain extent. I really haven't seen enough of either team to make an educated pick. Ohio State seems to have a lot of problems with the SEC, so I think LSU should come out on top.


Baseball-Rumors: Do you have a vote for the Hall of Fame?

Lyle Spencer: Yes, I do.


Baseball-Rumors: Who were your votes for the class of 2008?

Lyle Spencer: My votes were for Bert Blyleven, Goose Gossage, Andre Dawson, Jim Rice, Don Mattingly, Dave Concepcion and Alan Trammell.

I'm partial to that era of the game, I loved watching guys like Don Mattingly play the game. I'm not a big fan of the moneyball idea that a lot of teams preach these days, but the game has changed so much in the last 10-15 years.


Baseball-Rumors: New Angels General Manager Tony Reagins, how different is he from former GM Bill Stoneman?

Lyle Spencer: I'm not sure yet, I'm fairly new to covering the Angels so I haven't really gotten a chance to get a feel for Reagins yet.

From what I've seen so far, I think Tony is more of a risk taker. He's more likely to pull the trigger on a deal than Stoneman, he's not going to take more time analyzing the deal. I think Reagins was willing to part with more (in the Cabrera deal) than Stoneman ever would have. Stoneman was a very bright guy, but I think he over-analyzed deals or moves.


Baseball-Rumors: Does the addition of Torii Hunter mean the departure of Gary Mathews Jr.?

Lyle Spencer: I don't think so. I think, because Garrett Anderson is probably in his last year with the Angels, there's no real urgency to trade Mathews. There's been no serious interest in Mathews from other teams, so I doubt you'll see a trade for him. Not to say it won't happen, because it's still very early in the process.


Baseball-Rumors: You covered both the Padres and now with the Angels, how are the two teams different with the players on the field as well as the way their front offices go about their business?

Lyle Spencer: The Angels clubhouse is more business like, quiet, where the Padres' clubhouse has a more relaxed, easy going feel to it. I think, with the addition of Hunter to the Angels, I think he'll loosen up that clubhouse.

As far as the front office, Kevin Towers is very relaxed, he's a great guy, very friendly and easy to deal with, especially with the media. Bill Stoneman really wasn't a media guy, you didn't see a lot of sound bytes from him, but I think Reagins could be very different from that, we'll see.


Baseball-Rumors: I know you must have spent a lot of time with Tony Gwynn. What was his reaction when he saw his son going up against Trevor Hoffman at the end of last season, a guy that watched the younger Gwynn growing up?

Lyle Spencer: I'm sure he was very conflicted. On one hand, he's a father and he's pulling for his son, on the other hand I'm sure he's partial to the Padres as well, but they say "blood is thicker than water", so that should tell you a lot.


Baseball-Rumors: Would Tony ever consider managing in the big leagues do you think?

Lyle Spencer: No, absolutely not. He has a great situation right now with San Diego State, it's close to home, he can do what he wants to do, it's the ideal situation. I don't think managing in the majors has ever appealed to him.


Baseball-Rumors: Is this the last year for Trevor Hoffman as a Padre?

Lyle Spencer: It depends on how this season goes. I know they have an option for the 2009 season ($7.5M option w/ $2M buyout), but I know the Padres really like Heath Bell.

I was really surprised that Trevor didn't take the Indians offer, especially since it was significantly more than the Padres offer. The decision on Trevor, I'm sure, is going to be a difficult one but Sandy Alderson won't make that decision based on it being sentimental, that won't enter into it at all.


Baseball-Rumors: Same question in terms of Francisco Rodriguez?

Lyle Spencer: It might be, KRod is going to look for $11-$12M/year and I don't know if the Angels are willing to pay that. There's still concern with his arm if it's going to hold up, but there's no doubt he's still a very good young pitcher. It's going to be a tough call on him as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice interview, thank you for sharing.