Thursday, February 14, 2008

Tony DeMarco of MSNBC Sports

Tony DeMarco, who is a regular contributor to NBC Sports and MSNBC Sports, gave his take on the upcoming 2008 season and a few teams to watch.


Baseball-Rumors: Are the Angels still the favorite in the AL West even with the Mariners' acquisition of Erik Bedard?

Tony DeMarco: Yes, I'm sticking with the Angels. I believe the two rotations are very similar now that Bedard has been acquired and Escobar is hurt. But I'd take the Angels in pretty much everything else across the board -- bullpen, lineup, defense, speed. The Mariners to me overachieved last year, winning 88 games despite outscored. I really like the Silva signing and getting Bedard, but I see them being about the same as last season. I have the Angels winning 92 games, and just to let you know, I have spring preview capsules of every team posted on the website now.


Baseball-Rumors: The NL West has gone from the NL Worst just a few years ago to one of the strongest divisions in baseball. What do you attribute that to?

Tony DeMarco: In the cases of Arizona and Colorado, you have teams built from within, with a lot of younger talent that came of age. I like the Rockies' chances a bit better than the DBacks'. The Rockies' nucleus is in its prime, as opposed to the DBacks' still being young and relatively inexperienced. The Rockies also have more upside in Jimenez, Morales, Greg Reynolds, Juan Morillo. And like the Mariners, I think the DBacks overachieved last year, same type scenario of their record being way better than their run differential.

As for the division as a whole, just look at the pitching. It's outstanding. The Dodgers, Pads and Giants all have excellent rotations, and the first two have great staffs as a whole. Part of it is because those three teams play in pitchers' parks. But it's hard to name another staff in the other two divisions that matches up. Maybe the Cubs?


Baseball-Rumors: The AL Central looks like it's going to be a great race between the Cleveland Indians and Detroit Tigers. Was the acquisition of Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera enough to push the Tigers past the Indians?

Tony DeMarco: I'm picking the Tigers, yes. The big concern there is health, as they have a lot of old players, and we aren't certain about Rogers and Bonderman bouncing back. But that lineup could score close to 1,000 runs, and there is a win-now mindset. There's nothing wrong with the Indians, though, and I have them as the wildcard over the Yankees and Mariners.


Baseball-Rumors: Were you surprised that neither the Red Sox or Yankees pulled the trigger on the Johan Santana deal or did neither team want to give up what the Twins were asking?

Tony DeMarco: I was more surprised in the Yankees' case. The Red Sox really don't need him, and in fact, I'd argue that I'd rather keep Buchholz and Lester and Ellsbury than lose a couple of them, plus pay Santana $137 million. I thought the Yankees would make the deal because they really need Santana, but the desire to keep their young pitching is commendable. But Kennedy, Joba and Hughes need to be good in a hurry.


Baseball-Rumors: With Curt Schilling possibly out until the All-Star break, does that weaken the Red Sox at all, or are they strong enough to stay in front in the AL East without him?

Tony DeMarco: I'm still picking the Red Sox. Losing Schilling hurts, but perhaps not that much. I don't think they expected him to pitch more than 150 innings anyway. But again, they need the young starters to come through, Wakefield will have to have one more durable season, or perhaps will have to add a veteran type. It might cost them a couple of wins in the regular season, but I see them in the playoffs.


Baseball-Rumors: Last question for me, is this going to be one of the best seasons we've seen in a long time?

Tony DeMarco: I think they're all good, each in their own way. Every one has its own developments, story lines, surprises and dramas. That's why we watch.

No comments: