Sunday, February 24, 2008

LaRussa wants Barry Bonds?

According to Matthew Leach of MLB.com, Cardinals' manager Tony LaRussa apparently suggested the front office go after former Giants' slugger Barry Bonds, if for no other reason than to be protection for 1st baseman Albert Pujols.

When I first read that, I didn't think LaRussa was actually serious, thought he was being sarcastic. Turns out, he's very serious. When asked LaRussa responded "What I've said each of the last two years is that when you're looking for somebody dangerous to hit behind Albert Pujols, Barry was a guy that I thought," La Russa said.

He continued "And for whatever reason, at the general manager or ownership level, they didn't agree that he would be a guy that they thought we should add. I understand. Organization chart -- they're my bosses. That's exactly what happened."

So, let me get this straight, he's upset at his boss' for not bringing on a guy who would start the worst PR nightmare in team history? They've already dealt with 1 steroid issue in Mark McGwire....allegedly, bringing on Bonds would really piss the Cardinal fans off.

No comments: